Friday, March 27, 2009

My first professional interview

Yesterday I had my first 'real' interview. Yes, I interviewed when I got my job at Cracker Barrel three years ago and when I was elected as PR Director for the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, but this was my first professional interview.

I have to admit, I was very nervous going in to the interview, especially for such a well-known company in the Charleston area. But, once I got going, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I got a lot of great advice from my parents, friends, and fellow Scrippsies: be yourself, be honest, make it a conversation. These things made me feel better going into my interview, and now I can add a few of my own to the list.

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something. It shows you are willing to learn.

It's ok to tell stories that will showcase your skills and abilities.

Ask questions, even if they don't directly relate to your interview. It shows you've taken the time to learn about the company and that you are truly interested.

Now all I can do is wait to see if I'll be chosen for the position, but either way it was a great experience for me and will better prepare me for future interviews.

No comments: