Thursday, December 24, 2009

Social media: the beginning of a new era?

I just finished reading “Facebook Era” by Clara Shih. While I would consider myself relatively knowledgeable when it comes to social media, this book opened my eyes to a lot of things I hadn’t even heard of before.


One thing I never really thought about with the advent of social media is the universality of the trend. Shih’s book is great about giving a history of social media and explaining the uses and audience for the most popular networking sites and applications.


Something else that really stuck out to me was her explanation that, while social media is criticized for taking away personal connection, it actually allows us to communicate more. Shih discusses “fringe” relationships and explains that social networking sites let us keep in touch much easier than ever before. We can connect with people we’ve only met once or twice, or maybe even never at all, with very little effort.


The most valuable lesson I took away from the book was that social media in all forms is not for everyone or every business. Shih gives awesome advice on how to figure out a social media model that works best for your company or simply the brand Y-O-U.

No comments: