Friday, November 6, 2009

Expect the unexpected

For a communications person, planning is everything. We have timelines, public relations and marketing plans, agendas, mile long to-do lists, scheduling and planning events and everything in between. We even plan for things that are unplanned, which is crisis communications 101.

I admit that I fall under this category of the overeager planner, even scheduling a hair appointment weeks in advance just to make sure I have every aspect of my life under control. I keep a written planner and my desk is consistently covered with post-it notes.

As fall quarter draws to a close and I have a chance to reflect on the past couple months, I’m beginning to realize how unpredictable life can be. As hard as all the Type A journalism students try (and I include myself in this category) some things will just not go along as planned, and we must learn to be ok with this fact.

I’ve grown up with a “Disney” view of the world, thinking everything will turn out the way you want it to and that there will always be a “happily ever after.” As I’ve gotten older, though, I realize that, while it is still something to strive for, perfection is not possible, and life will throw you curveballs when you least expect them.

The best insight I have gained from the past nine weeks is this: take chances, make mistakes, and just live your life. If things work out the way you want them to, great. If they don’t, you can always try again.

No comments: