Thursday, October 16, 2008

Stress and a fast-paced society

This has been a very stressful week.

I'm still trying to learn how to balance homework, studying, classes and my other activities. I'm actually having a difficulty finding time to eat.

I was in line at Boyd Grab n Go a few weeks ago and I overheard some (obviously) freshmen talking about classes. One started talking about how she really liked college except for the fact that there's not many grades besides exams and papers.

I was thinking to myself: are you kidding me? Did she expect worksheets from her professors to boost her grades?

This brings me to the point of how our generation expects things to come so easily and that everything will be done for us. I admit that I'm guilty of this at times, complaining that I have to read 50 pages before the next day. I constantly get the lecture from my parents about how easy I have it with the search tools on the internet and how they used to go to the library and read books to do research for papers.

So I can't help but wondering: is the internet affecting the younger generation in a negative way?

We are so used to having everything at the tip of our fingers with the advent of the internet that when something can't be instantly obtained, we freak out or don't know how to handle ourselves. This fast-paced lifestyle definitely causes a more stressful environment for everyone, but I think we can adapt over time.

I'm still learning that adapting process and I'm trying to stay afloat in this crazy world of new media, but it can be a little daunting.

No comments: